3 Cups sweetened, shredded coconut
4 Large egg whites
1/2 Cup of granulated sugar
1 Teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
1/4 Teaspoon salt
Coconut Macaroon Instructions
1. Heat the oven to 350°F. Arrange a rack in the bottom third of the oven and heat to 350°F.
2. Toast the coconut (optional). For deeper coconut flavor and extra-crispy macaroons, spread the coconut on a rimmed baking sheet and toast until just barely starting to show some color, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly before using.
3. Whisk the egg whites, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Place the egg whites, sugar, vanilla or almond extract, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk until the whites and sugar are completely combined and the mixture is frothy.
4. Combine the coconut and egg white mixture. Add the coconut and stir until the coconut is evenly moistened.
5. Shape the macaroons. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. With wet hands to prevent sticking, shape the coconut mixture into small balls about 1 1/2-inches in diameter. Space them an inch or so apart on the baking sheet.
6. Bake the macaroons for 15 to 20 minutes. Bake the macaroons until golden-brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
7. Cool the macaroons. Let the macaroons cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Verify your ingredients before us, especially the vanilla (which is often made with grain alcohol). You can substitute another kosher-for-Passover extract in place of the vanilla or skip it entirely.